French Toast Casserole! Dairy and Gluten free?! Can it still be good?? A resounding ‘YES!’ from the whole family, even the ones who don’t have to be dairy or gluten free. Highest compliment, right?!
We just don’t do well with dairy or gluten. We get eczema, ear infections, clear our throats all the time, cough, etc. Not really worth it!
I haven’t made this before but found it on “Mama Knows Gluten Free” and only tweaked it a little because of what I had in our pantry!
This French Toast Casserole had the perfect crunch on the outer layer, and chewy and gooey on the inside!
The best part?! You can make it ahead of time!! Make it the night before (without the top layer), cover it and put in the refrigerator so when you wake up, you can pre-heat the oven and put the top layer on (don’t put the topping on until the next morning, right before you bake it!)
Ready for the recipe?!
French Toast Casserole
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 15 min (toasting bread) 55 min Bake Casserole.
1 loaf of gluten free bread (I used Franz, Mountain White from Costco!)
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1 TBLS ground cinnamon
Egg Mixture: Pour Over
6 eggs whisked
2 cups of milk (I used 1 cup of almond milk and one cup of oat milk as that’s what I had on hand)
1 TSP of ground cinnamon
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1 TBLS pure vanilla extract
Crumbly Topping (added only after you are ready to bake!)
1 Cup of all purpose flour (I used gluten free Namaste from Costco)
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 TSP of ground cinnamon
1/4 TSP salt
1/2 cup of unsalted butter, melted (I used Earth Balance)
Glaze: Pour on top at the end (I did not use this as there was plenty of sugar already!)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 TSP ure vanilla extract
2 TBLS milk (use dairy free if needed! Almond, oat milk)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Cut one loaf of the gluten free bread into small pieces
- Spread the gluten-free bread pieces evenly on an uncreased baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes. Until they are slightly crispy (not browned or burned).
- Spray a 13×9 inch baking dish with gluten-free cooking spray.
- Grab a bowl and mix together the 1/2 cup of brown sugar and cinnamon mixture. Sprinkle this mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish to cover.
- Add the toasted bread pieces and place on top (do not mix)
- Grab a large bowl and whisk together the eggs, milk, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon until well blended. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread pieces until it’s all covered.
- Grab a bowl and mix together gluten free flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and melted butter. It will become crumbly- perfect. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 50 minutes on middle rock. You’ll know it’s finished when you give it a little shake and it doesn’t move too much.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the glaze together in a bowl until it’s nice and smooth. Allow the casserole to cool a few minutes so the glaze doesn’t melt into the casserole. Once cooled, it will stay atop of the casserole.
Cover or store left overs in an air-tight container and refrigerate. Reheat the casserole in the microwave or oven. I suggest serving with coffee and a dollop of DF whipped cream 😉
Let me know if you tried this and what you think in the comments!